With a nod to springtime in Appalachia, this strawberry dessert recipe features biscuit scones, fresh strawberries and Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine jam. Scones can be made ahead of time, glazed and garnished the day of event. A good choice for Valentine’s dessert or a Kentucky Derby party.
- ¼ cup pure cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups all-purpose flour – whisked + plus enough to scatter on work surface
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk + 3 tablespoons for brushing on tops
Glaze and Strawberry Dessert Toppings
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup of organic milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 jar of Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam (about 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam per dessert)
- 2 Quarts of Fresh Strawberries plus 9 strawberries for garnish
- Whipped Cream
Optional garnishes include white chocolate chips, fresh mint, or almonds.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients for strawberry shortcake biscuit scones.
- Add butter. It is all the rage to grate butter, but I still just cut it into small pieces and work in with a pastry cutter or two knives. Butter should be in pea-sized chunks when you are done.
- Next, add egg and buttermilk. Work in with a fork, it will be a tad dry. It should come together into a loose ball when you use your hands. Do not overwork.
- On a floured surface, flip the dough ball out. If it is sticky (depends on your flour) turn the dough ball once on the floured surface to pick up more flour. Dough should appear dry.
- Pat dough into a circle, about 1 inch thick. Use a floured 2 ¼ “biscuit cutter to create circles. (Makes 18)
- Place strawberry shortcake scones on two baking trays lined with parchment paper.
- Brush tops with remaining buttermilk.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, rotating trays halfway through the cycle. Biscuit scones should be lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack which has parchment paper beneath it.
- In a medium bowl, mix confectionary powdered sugar, milk and ginger. Stir until smooth.
- Once scones have cooled dunk them one at a time in confectionary sugar glaze. Place back on cooling rack and let drip.
- Go grab a cup of tea. By the time you finish, the sugar coat will be set. Dunk strawberry shortcake scones in the sugar glaze again! We aren’t playing around here.
- Let sugar coating set. Set time varies with humidity.
- For serving flip one scone flat side up. Slather with Friends Drift Inn strawberry moonshine jam; about 2 tablespoons per strawberry shortcake.
- Add 2 tablespoons sliced strawberries.
- Add whipped cream (either on side or directly on shortcake) and cap with a second scone. Garnish.
Garnish strawberry shortcake biscuit scones with fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate, or sliced strawberries macerated in moonshine.
Mint is a fragrant garnish, especially during Kentucky Derby season.
Whipped cream is a must.
Extra garnishes could include chocolate chips, almonds, mint, ice cream or a smear of Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam.
Strawberry shortcake desserts pair well with champagne, a light white tea, white wine, or strawberry lemonade.
Save yourself time! Whisk flour in the sack, then lightly spoon into a measuring cup.
Strawberry shortcake scone biscuits can be made a day ahead. Wait to glaze until day of event.
If you want taller scones, place strawberry shortcakes tighter on baking sheets forcing them to grow up and not out. Beware, with this method they sometimes kiss making edges a little raggedy for glazing and the bottoms tend to brown and toughen.
I have frozen biscuit scones for make ahead parties; just wait to glaze and add strawberry jam and strawberries until day you will be serving.
Gentle reminder, this recipe is formulated to compliment Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam. We cannot predict how substitutions will perform.
Keywords: strawberry shortcake recipe, strawberry dessert, Kentucky Derby Party, Valentines Day, strawberry jam, strawberry moonshine jam,