Sleek and elegant, pair these easy-to-make cookies with cheese and jam, fresh fruit, or milk and cookies. Year-round classic that you can bake ahead and freeze.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) organic unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups pure cane sugar
- 1 egg, large
- ¼ cup of Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam
- ¼ cup buttermilk (helps texture and browning)
- Sparkling sugar for top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line three baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with a large spoon until all is smooth. (You could use a mixer)
- Add egg and jam and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mix.
- If you choose, you can chill dough at this point. (Spreads less if chilled)
- Using a heaping teaspoon, drop cookie batter on lined cookie sheet. Try to get the same amount of batter in each cookie. These spread a smidge, so expect to put a dozen on a sheet. You will need three sheets.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar is you wish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating sheets at the 10-minute mark. Cookie edges will be slightly browned.
- Remove cookies from trays and place on a cooling rack. Cookies should be crisp on bottom.
To reduce spreading, you can mix sugar cookie dough and chill for an hour or overnight. Frankly, they do not spread so much that it really bothers me.
These sugar cookies brown up nicely but keep an eye that you do not go beyond the point of no return!
For Valentine’s Day, an extra dollop of strawberry jam sets the mood.
If making ahead, let cookies thoroughly cool before placing them in freezer storage bags.
This recipe was formulated to compliment Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam. We cannot predict how other jams will perform.
Keywords: Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe, Easy Sugar Cookie, Strawberry Jam, strawberry moonshine jam, Cookie Exchange, Picnic