Old Fashioned Apple Bread is simple. No nuts, no raisins – just apple butter goodness. A quick bread recipe, with the flavors of fall. Make this for afternoon coffee breaks. Perfect for holiday gifts too!
“Apples are just part of who I am – and who the Friend family is. I grew up under the boughs of apple trees.” Joyce Pinson, Friends Drift Inn
Old Fashioned Apple Bread Recipe At-A-Glance
Prep time 15 Minutes Bake Time 30 minutes Total Time 45
Makes one loaf – 10-12 servings
Ingredients Butter – Sugar – Eggs – Buttermilk – Friends Drift Inn Spiced Apple Butter – All-Purpose Flour – Baking Powder – Baking Soda – Salt – Cinnamon – Ginger – Nutmeg.
Equipment Mixing bowls, spoons and cups. Loaf pan. Mixer is nice but not essential. Cooling rack or cutting board. Serrated knife makes for neater slicing.
Apple Bread Recipe with Apple Butter -Baking Tips
We love apple breads! If you do too, check out our LINK recipe for apple butter bread with bourbon-soaked raisins and nuts. LINK
- For best results, make apple bread recipe a day ahead. Wrap with foil and let sit on the counter. The bread will mellow and moisten.
- Quick breads are by nature, easy and no-fuss. Do not over mix the batter. Stir and moisten. Good enough!
- To grease loaf pan, I use bacon drippings. You can of course use cooking spray or oil.
- Ovens are not consistent. Preheat oven. This is important to assure even baking.
- Check quick bread the last ten minutes. If it appears too brown for your liking, add a loose foil tent to slow the browning process.
- Let the apple butter bread cool before cutting for cleanest cuts.
- To cut use a serrated bread knife. Wikihow suggests using a bread knife with a 10-12 blade.
Storing and Freezing Apple Bread
I store on the counter the first day, then in the refrigerator. Refrigerated will keep about 2 days.
Apple Bread freezes well. Let cool and put in resealable bag. Stow in the freezer. Will last about a month.
Ten to twelve slices are a lot of bread if you are a small family.
Sometimes I go ahead and slice the loaf. Place parchment between slices and freeze.
Grab a slice from freezer, skillet griddle with a pat of butter and smear with apple butter. Yes m ’am! (Yes sir! Giggles)
I like the bread cold too; like right out of the freezer cold and set on the counter just enough to thaw. Couple that with apple butter, heated in the microwave and you have a winner!
Another alternative, is to cube leftover bread and use it in an apple bread pudding. (Freeze cubes for later, or cube and make bread pudding now)
Of Apple Butter and Appalachian Dreams
LINK TO PRODUCTS
Friends Drift Inn Apple Butter is unique. Our spices are a bit different, featuring both cinnamon and ginger.
We use several varieties of apples to achieve a balance of flavors and textures. No high fructose corn syrup, food colorings, or preservatives are in the mix.
We are passionate about apples and apple butter. If you want the background story, check out “What is Apple Butter and How Do You Use It?” where I talk about heirloom apples, my family legacy, and why apple butter is so important to us.
Apples and Christmas in Williamsburg
Virginia is known for its apples. Some of our favorite heirloom apples come from there. Back in the mid 1800’s, when my family moved from Washington County, VA to Floyd County, KY they made a special trip back to the old cabin just to get the apples that were stored under the porch.
When I think of Colonial Williamsburg, one of the first images that comes to mind is Christmas wreaths studded with magnolia leaves and apples. Funny thing, that was not a colonial tradition.
In the Colonial Period, Christmas was not a time of lavish decorations. More emphasis was put into the religious significance of the holiday season. According to the Washington Post Williamsburg’s holiday decorations might have included a sprig of mistletoe and a candle in the window, but that was about it.
Back in the 1930’s, Colonial Williamsburg was being restored and developed as a heritage tourist destination. Staying true to a natural old-fashioned feel, was a bit of a challenge. Tourists expected lavish holiday decorations.
The powers that be begin designing all-natural Christmas decorations, featuring apples and pineapples amongst lush greenery. The signature style is now a much-loved holiday tradition.
Of course holiday baking was and is part of the Colonial Williamsburg experience!
Apple Butter Uses
Apple butter uses truly do abound. The apple itself is such a versatile fruit, which can be preserved in so many ways as a beverage, a sweet or savory sauce, a jam, a butter, a whole fruit, a pie filling, a dried chip, a fruit leather… the list goes on and on! If you take just one of these uses—apple butter—and look at all that it can be turned into, the list of apple uses grows again.
Here at the big red barn, there is always one jar of apple butter in the fridge and another one (or twenty) in the pantry.
We like apple butter as a glaze for ham and turkey. We like it stirred into a warm bowl of oatmeal. I am always using it in baking projects.
You can never have too much apple butter!
Healthy Baking Lightbulb Moments
Like many of you, I am always looking for ways to improve health and wellness. Remember, apple butter is concentrated applesauce with spices.
I use apple butter much like applesauce in baking. It is a great alternative to oil!
For guilt-free baked goods, applesauce makes a fine stand-in for vegetable oil. Applesauce adds not only moisture and flavor to baked goods, but fiber and nutrients. Using it successfully takes some experimentation, though. Stick with oil or butter for cookies, and substitute only part of the oil initially.
Got some fresh apples you need to use up? Grate half an apple and add to this recipe. It adds moisture and a little textural interest.
Holiday Baking and Hostess Gifts – Apple Butter Bread
Travelling over the holidays? Make a loaf of apple bread. Add a recipe card and a jar of Friends Drift Inn Apple Butter for your hosts. Perfect hostess gift!
Because this is such a simple recipe, why not make several loaves at once? This quick bread makes a thoughtful gift or your neighbors.
It is a great alternative to baking cookies. Did I mention this was a quick bread? Giggles
Don’t forget the college crowd. Send a loaf back to the dorm. Oh, how I know you hate to see them leave! But a loaf of fresh baked apple bread will remind them of home. You know they miss you!
The beauty of this bread is its simplicity. Serve with a smear of LINK Friends Drift Inn Spiced Apple Butter.
Layers of flavor for breakfast? Griddle a slice of apple bread and plate. Top with a teaspoon of apple butter and a slice of ham. Garnish with a fresh apple slice. YUM!
This is the perfect quick bread for a coffee break or cup of tea. I like a strong coffee with this. For tea, consider a Chai mix. Even pumpkin spiced coffee or tea would be a fall treat!
Avoiding caffeine? Hot apple cider is marvelous with this recipe!
If you want to jazz up apple bread and use as a dinner dessert, griddle bread with butter to get some brown crunchy edges. Top with apple butter, black walnuts, and a dollop of bourbon whipped cream.
LINK To Heritage Collection
Rustic and simple, old fashioned apple bread can be dressed up or dressed down. It’s your call. Easy to make! Freezes well. Make a day ahead for best flavors.
- ½ cup (1 stick) organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup of pure cane sugar
- 2 eggs, organic room temperature, whisked
- ¾ cup of buttermilk
- 1 ¼ cup Friends Drift Inn Spiced Apple Butter
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour, whisked
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Crank the oven to 350. Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with aluminum foil, leaving extra on the sides for “handles.”
- Grease the loaf pan. Butter or baking spray will work, but a sparingly small smear of bacon fat adds a layer of flavor.
- In medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add apple butter and buttermilk. You can do this by hand or use a mixer, just make sure the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add eggs, give it a good stir. Mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- In large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. Make a well.
- Add wet ingredients, stirring in just enough to moisten. The batter should be just a smidge thicker than pancake batter.
- Pour batter in prepared loaf pan. Pick up pan a couple of inches off the table and drop gently to level batter.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, rotating once through the cycle. Bake until apple bread is browned. A toothpick inserted will come out clean. The bread will slightly pull away from sides.
- Remove from oven. I use the aluminum “handles” to remove bread from pan and let cool on a cutting board or cooling rack.
Apple bread is the perfect breakfast or snack to pair with coffee, pumpkin spiced tea, or mulled apple cider with a nip of bourbon.
Consider griddling slices of apple bread. For savory dinners on the go, top with an egg, apple butter, and ham. For a griddled dinner desert, smear with apple butter, sprinkle on black walnuts, and add a dollop of bourbon infused whipped cream.
For an unusual treat, cube leftover slices and make a trifle layered with whipped cream, nuts and apple butter.
For best results, bake a day ahead. This will increase flavors and moisture.
Apple bread freezes well.
This recipe was developed with Friends Drift Inn Spiced Apple Butter. We cannot venture a guess as to how other products will work.
True confession, I never cool this apple bread on a rack. Lift it out of the pan using the foil handles, and place on a cutting board.
Do let this bread cool before slicing.
Keywords: Apple Bread Recipe, Apple Butter Bread, Apple Butter Uses, Apple Butter, Apple Bread