A festival classic, homemade corn dogs with a zing of Friends Drift Inn Peach Habanero Jam is a fun tailgating or camping recipe.
- ½ cup Friends Drift Inn Peach Habanero Jam (plus more if you want to “dip” finished product)
- ¾ cup of Buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour + ¼ cup for dusting
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 12 hot dogs and skewer
- Follow manufacturer’s directions to fill fryer with oil. Heat to 365; medium high.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together jam, buttermilk, and eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl, whisk to evenly distribute the leavening agents.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and gently fold in the wet ingredients. Work only enough to moisten and walk away.
- Let the leavening agents work for a few minutes.
- Put hot dogs on skewers. Make sure they are straight to avoid losing batter.
- Dredge hot dogs through the ¼ cup of flour to coat evenly.
- Dip hot dogs in batter. Use a large spoon to make sure all surface area is covered.
- Lay the battered corn dogs flat onto the surface of the fryer oil. (Make sure to lay the corn dogs away from you to avoid splatter burns)
- Do not cook more than two at a time or the grease will lose temperature.
- Cook until golden brown – about 4 minutes.
- Carefully remove corn dogs from fryer with tongs. Place on lined tray to drain and cool.
With the popularity of hot dog bars, peach habanero corn dogs make for a fun spin on the traditional weiner. Keep it casual and fun! Great for tailgating!
We like these with Bourbon Peach Sweet Tea. They are also good with lime-aide, or a strawberry margarita.
Do not eat these straight out of fryer. They are piping hot!
Anytime you are using a deep fryer make sure you exercise caution! Keep the kids out of the way.
Don’t cook barefooted or in thongs. Make sure your feet are protected!
These can be frozen and reheated in the oven.
The corn dog coating really has too much moisture to reheat in the microwave.
This recipe was formulated to work with Friends Drift Inn Peach Habanero Jam.
Keywords: homemade corn dog, corn dog batter, hot dog recipe, corn dog recipes, peach habanero jam, hot dog, corn dog,